Summer time is fading and soon parents will begin to prepare their precious little ones for school. The preparation for school begins will a long list of school supplies. I recently watched a video interview of Dr. Noreen Mayberry (AKA The Tox Doc) she had advise for parents and students on potential sources of toxins in school supplies. This was a good reminder to keep a look out for toxins when shopping for supplies.
- Avoid plastic lunch boxes unless they state they are PVC free lunch boxes. A suggestion mentioned was to use a metal lunchbox or a fabric lunchbox.
- Look for the recycling symbols 3, 6 and 7 to avoid using products that contain PVC.
- Anything plastic that is soft and shiny should be avoided because it could contain phthalates
- Antibacterial and antimicrobial products should not be used by children. They can be hormone disrupter for girls especially. Use regular soap to clean your hands
- Shiny bags, pencil cases and backpacks can contain phthalates. Suggestion is to move to natural materials.
If you would like to watch the interview just press play on the video below.
Colour Pencils Image courtesy of Mister GC at FreeDigitalPhotos.net