Many of you know me as the “GMO free Momma” here on GMOFreeBaby.com. I started with our facebook page out of concern for the things I was feeding my baby. Then we launched this website dedicated to helping all with any information we could gather on families, pregnancy, children, babies and reducing our intake of toxins and GMO’s. Long ago I studied to be a Beauty Therapist and worked in Spa’s and a Make Up Studio. I have so much makeup from all the time I worked in the industry, and basically because I just love cosmetics! Recently, I have ignited my desire for makeup and art and have launched an instagram account dedicated to this. But, with all the things I have learned about food over the years and how it has changed my health for the worse or the better, I had to examine my makeup. Really what am I putting on my skin? Could make up that I’m using or other women are using daily have an impact on their health? I’m not really sure how big of an impact makeup would have compared to food on our health, but it is worth considering. And really I do not want to support GMO’s, even if they are in my makeup and not my food! Especially if it is a product we use daily. Truthfully, I have so much makeup that it will take me a long time to change it all out for natural products, but I need to start now. I have decided to change all my basics, the things I use from day to day. I don’t use makeup at home when I’m running around with the kids, teaching them and taking care of the house. But when I go out in public I do like to wear my mascara and some lipstick, so I look a little alive. And after years of suffering from painful lips, now that the redness and pain is gone, I love wearing lipstick!
So I wanted to invite you all to join me while I discover what products go along with my personal ideas of health, non gmo, non toxic and safer alternative to the regular cosmetics we all use. I don’t only want to find products to switch to that are better because they are “organic” or “Non GMO”, I want them to work as well as the makeup I am use to using. I want safer products that look just as great as what I am use to.
The first product that I decided to change was mascara. If I had to give up all cosmetics and only keep one thing, it would be mascara! My only hesitation was that I really hate mascaras that don’t do anything for your lashes. And I have tried “natural” mascaras in the past, and lets just say I didn’t last using them! In fact I am so attached to using the same mascara I have for years, that I always recommend it to everyone. I found, that out of all the mascaras I tried over the years it gave me the most volume. So really going into this I was a little scared of not having the volume I am use to in my mascara. I found Physicians Formula Organic Wear FakeOut Mascara, what I liked was the fact that it was free of petroleum, parabens, synthetic fragrances and GMO’s! Plus it comes in a cute pink leaf container which was a bonus for me, I must admit I love cute things! I still didn’t think it would even come close to my regular mascara, but I decided I would give it a fair chance.
Wow was I surprised! This is the 4th day of wearing the Physicians Formula Organic Wear FakeOut Mascara, and it looks and feels like my old conventional mascara. I really did not expect it to be this good, boy have they come a long way since years ago with my first experience with “natural” mascara. It costs a little more than my regular brand, but nothing compared to the high end mascaras, that truthfully most of the time you are paying for the name! And for the fact that it doesn’t have those extra nasty chemicals that are not needed I think its a win win for me. Here I have added some pictures of my eyelashes with one side the Organic Wear FakeOut Mascara and my old favorite. Really I do not see a difference, and in these pictures I did 4 coats on each eye. I did not add any other makeup because I wanted the mascara to be the main thing we examined. I bought my mascara at the local drug store, but found it on Here for almost half the price! So now that I know I like it, I will keep buying it online.
I would love to hear your feed back on this product or any other that you have used that is gmo free and organic. I will be updating you when I try different products that are GMO free and work great. You can follow my makeup
recommendations and looks on instagram @naturalgirlcolors. I really value your opinions and ideas, so let me know what you think by commenting below or on my instagram.
1st EVER mascara with 100% Natural Origin lash extension fibers for the full-on fringe of false lashes without irritation. Innovative formula amplifies lash volume, length and curl. Oversized brush creates a fabulously false lash effect instantly. Free of: Harsh chemicals, synthetic preservatives and fibers, parabens, gluten and dyes. Includes EcoBlend featuring OrganiSoy and Eco-Olive. And 100% Free of Petroleum by products, Parabens, GMO’s and Synthetic Fragrances.
Here are some other natural mascaras I found online, but have not tried. Do you have any experience trying any of them. Please give us your honest feedback on them. We love to hear the good, the bad and the ugly! And don’t forget to follow my instagram account @naturalgirlcolors for more info on cosmetics and makeup looks. Thank you!
- 100% natural volumizing technology
- Moisturizes and helps nourish lashes, while shielding lashes from harsh environment
- Hypoallergenic; Fragrance free; Ophthalmologist approved
- Made in USA / Gluten free / Cruelty free
- 85% Organic / Free of Preservatives / Fragrances / Vegan
- 100% Natural / Smudge Proof / Water Resistant
- Customer Favorite / A Must for Sensitive Eyes
- Says that it is Free from: SLS.Alcohol. Parabens. Sulphates. Petraolatum. Synthetic Fragrance. Pthalates. Synthetic Dyes. Mineral Oil. Petrolatum. GMO’s. Mercury. Propylene Glycol.
- Organic Beeswax: Provides buildable formula Synthetic Color Pigments 100% Natural Color Pigments Petroleum By-Products: can cause irritation 100% Free of Petroleum By Products, Parabens, GMOs, & Synthetic Fragrances Hypoallergenic. Fragrance Free. Ophthalmologist Approved. Cruelty Free.
- A simple healthy formula of cocoa butter waxes, oils, and mineral pigments that go on creamy for long lasting wear.
- Gluten-free, FD&C dye-free, petroleum-free, preservative-free, fragrance-free. Vegan. 95 % Organic 100 % Chemical Free.
Says that it defines lashes naturally for long lasting, clump-free perfection. Rich cocoa and avocado butters leave lashes soft and lush while mineral pigments infused with vitamin E and organic botanical extracts protect lashes all day long.
- Highly efficient due to exceptionally powerful antioxidants
- Made in the USA
- 100% chemical-free
- Eco-friendly: recyclable packaging, sustainable manufacturing
- Combines A Moisturizing Formula Of Organic Oils With A Unique Brush To Lengthen, Curl & Separate Lashes For A Natural Yet Elegant Look
- Applies Without Clumps While The Richly Hydrating Formula Minimizes Flaking & Fall Out
- Suitable For Contact Lens Wearers & Sensitive Eyes
- Eco-cert Organic, Paraben-free, Sulfate-free, Cruelty-free
- Colors lashes revealing the natural beauty of your eyes, Lash Conditioner available seperately or included with Lash Tint Kit
- Made in USA with natural, vegan, organic, & kosher botanical ingredients
- Naturally antiseptic wax-free herbal color blend
- Cruelty-free, gluten-free, paraben-free, glycol-free, not compatible with wax or oil based cosmetics
Flora Mascara-Lapis by Zuii Organic 7g Liquid Flora Mascara-Lapis Create a rich and full lash look with a petro-chemical free formula to care for your eyes. The high definition and long lasting colour is reinforced with a unique blend of plant extracts to care for and nourish your lashes.
- 100% Free of Harsh Chemicals
- Clump-Free, Smudge-Free, Flake-Free
- Hypoallergenic; Safe for Sensitive Eyes and Contact Lens Wearers
Elena (GMO Free Momma and on Instagram naturalGirlColors!)
These picture are from my instagram account @naturalgirlcolors