Non-GMO Prenatal Vitamins

Pregnant LadyDo you really need a prenatal vitamin?  That is a question I asked my doctor on a prenatal visit with my first pregnancy.  “Think of it this way” he said looking at me intensely, “a baby is like a parasite extracting all your vital nutrients out of your body, so unless your diet is perfect, yes you need one!”  Ok so my doctor is a bit funny with words, but it did drive the point home.  Being pregnant is a blessing but it can also drain your body.  You want to make sure you are taking care yourself both physically and mentally!  Which is another thing my doctor warned me about, was to keep taking vitamins and eating a diet rich in healthy omegas.  He said the baby also can deplete your body of the healthy omegas, which is needed for your brain.  Having a good balance of omegas might help with the baby blues.  So essentially you do want to keep your health up so that both you and your baby benefit in the long term.  What ever you eat or even put on your skin affects the baby, so choosing a good prenatal is important!  A good choice would be one that is organic and non gmo, so that your baby doesn’t get toxins with your vitamins.

Here are some vitamins I found, please if you have had experiences good or bad using these prenatal vitamins, comment below!  Many people react differently to a prenatal, some feel great, but others might feel nauseous.  So all information you can give our mothers here on GMOFreeBaby.com is welcomed!  Thanks

1. Garden of Life mykind Organics Prenatal Multi, 90 Organic Tablet

2. New Chapter Perfect Prenatal Multivitamin, 192 Tablets, Packaging May Vary

3. Pure Synergy PureNatal

4. Organic Whole Food Prenatal Vitamins – Prenatal Multi Gold – 120 Veggie Capsules, Includes Food-Based Folic Acid (Folate), NutriGold Whole-Food Multivitamin Supplement with Minerals and Co-Factors for Superior Absorption and No Unpleasant Aftertaste

5. New Chapter Wholemega Prenatal, 90 Softgels

6. MegaFood Baby & Me Prenatal Vitamins, 120 Count

7. Simply One Prenatal 90 Tab

Image courtesy of David Castillo Dominici at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

20 comments

1. Organic Family says:

Probably best to stick to prenatals that state they are NON GMO. Organic still allows for some GMO’s to get into the vitamin. When the vitamins are Organic NON GMO it is best. Not worth the risk of exposing a baby to GMO’s.

• Sheena says:

GMOs are currently prohibited in organic products. Unfortunately the Non-GMO only ensures there are no GMOs (if Non_GMO verified) and you are still getting all the herbicides and pesticides. Organic and Non-GMO together are best. But if I had to choose between the two, always organic.

• Mr. Green says:

According to the NON GMO project website:
        100% Organic: Must contain 100 percent organically produced ingredients (excluding water and salt). This is the only label that certifies a completely organic product AND completely GMO-free ingredients.

Certified Organic / USDA Organic: At least 95 percent of content is organic by weight (excluding water and salt). The <5% remaining ingredients must consist of substances approved on the USDA’s National List. GMOs are NOT on this list, so USDA Organic products are also usually GMO-free.

• Elena@gmofreebaby.com says:

Hi Elena,

You can actually just click on the pictures in the post and it will direct you to where you can purchase the prenatals or alternatively you can go on gmofreebaby.com and on the top menu there is a “Store” link with some prenatal NON GMO options.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care,
      Elena GMO Free Momma

2. sleepy time says:

Exactly what I have been looking for. There’s nothing more important than good info these days, after all we do live in the information age. Thanks for the info, it is very useful. Baby swings can give you some peace and quiet, there’s not much more I can say.

3. BroderickTMcmillon says:

Hi! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group?
    There’s a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content.

Please let me know. Cheers

• Elena@gmofreebaby.com says:

Please feel free to share with your twitter group. We have sharing buttons available at the top of every post.

4. Karli Woodcox says:

I use the new chapter organics perfect prenatal and it has worked very well for me! I noticed a difference when I ran out and took a children’s multivitamin for a few days. So glad it’s whole food based and probiotic cultured 🙂 I’ve never felt sick after taking it either!